5 BEST WAYS TO TRAVEL FROM DA NANG TO HOI AN
Hoi An is a small town about 30km from Danang with the nearest international airport is Da Nang airport. It takes you about 1-hour drive from Da Nang to Hoi An. In this article, we will give you recommendations for the top 5 best ways to travel from Da Nang to Hoi An.
If you are first time visitor, check out our complete guideline to explore this world heritage ancient town. Moreover, one of the popular ways to fully explore the central region of Vietnam is flying to Da Nang first then staying for a few days before visiting to Hoi An. We have got your back with our article on best things to do to in Da Nang.
1. Private car service
One of the best options with good money for value is to travel with a private car. It’s fast, comfortable, convenient and may stop anywhere on the way upon your request. Moreover, you can get picked up anywhere in Da Nang and can avoid scams or price-haggle. There are two ways for you to book a private car. In case you have already booked your accommodation in Hoi An, feel free to ask the hotel to arrange a private pickup from Da Nang to Hoi An. Then, the car will be sent on scheduled time and at an provided address to give you a stress-free trip from Da Nang to Hoi An. You should notice that the extra fee may be charged, usually higher than booking by yourself.
Besides, you can book a private transfer car by yourself. This is a quick, easy and reliable way to get from Da Nang to Hoi An. Plus, you don’t need to book your Hoi An hotel service and may get the deal at a cheaper price. You can choose to be picked up right at Da Nang airport or your Da Nang hotel. With this option, you are complete worry-free about scams, delay or getting lost. This service usually costs you about $20-30$ per one-way, applying for departure time in daylight. In case you travel at night, the cost may vary up to $35. Private car service can be booked online in advance. Else, you can ask your Da Nang hotel staff for an arrangement.
- Make sure you provide the correct pickup address and time to avoid delay.
- If you want to explore a bit along the way, go ahead to arrange with the driver to stop at some tourist attraction or stop stations.
- This option is good value-for-money if you’re traveling in groups or families.
2. Cab booking platforms
Like Uber or Lyft, cab booking platforms are also available in Vietnam. You can choose to travel from Da Nang to Hoi An with Grab, Bee, VietGo, VATO, etc. Among those brands, Grab is the most popular with the highest number of service cars. To be able to use their service, all you need is your mobile phone, internet connection and their app. This option is also considered as convenience, fast and reliable as the route and fee are displayed in the app. No bargain needed.
For tourists who go to Hoi An from Da Nang airport, if you want to book a cab, you will need to get a 3G/4G SIM card at the airport to connect with the internet and download the app. Firstly, you need to follow the app instruction to register and then book your car. Then, you should simply input pickup location and destination. Lastly, you can choose the type of vehicles you want to drive with. 4-seater cars, 7-seater cars and shared cars are available. On the other hand, if you are traveling solo, the motorbike option is extremely cheap and convenient for you.
Cab booking platforms service is a bit cheaper than regular taxis at the range from $15 – $20 for a 7-seater from Da Nang to Hoi An.
- In case you are leaving from the airport, take some steps outside to the airport gate because Grab cars are not allowed to enter the airport.
- Make sure you input the correct location, you may ask your Da Nang hotel staff for help.
- Some cars will not stop along the way. You can negotiate in advance with the driver.
- To avoid scams, only get on the cars with the same license plates shown in your app.
Taxis are always available and ready to take you from Da Nang to Hoi An. You don’t need to arrange in advance, just simply give the driver the destination address, they will take you there. There are various ways for you to call a taxi. You can take one right from the street or call a hotline. Also, your Da Nang hotel staff can help you get a taxi. The only downside is the taxi scams.
As the taxi fee is charged based on the meter counter clock, some drivers may drive you the longest way and overcharge. To avoid this, you can choose to arrange the fee in advance with the drivers or you can use a maps application on your phone to track the route. To avoid scams, you should go with these 2 trustworthy taxi brands in Vietnam, Vinasun (white cars) and Mai Linh (green cars). A one-way trip on a taxi from Da Nang to Hoi An costs you about $17 – $25.
- Some drivers aren’t aware of all the roads in the region and may have trouble finding your location. Get help from your hotel staff.
- Track your taxi route to avoid overcharge.
- Taxi won’t stop along the way.
- Some drivers are not good at English and may misunderstand. Some translation apps may be helpful in this case.
4. Public bus
Going on a bus is the cheapest way on a 4-wheel to travel from Da Nang to Hoi An. With only $1-$2, you can reach Hoi An after about 1,5 hours of driving. Bus number 1 is the one you need to catch for your trip. This bus line starts from 5.30am and ends at 6.00pm with a frequency of one bus every 20 minutes. However, there are some downsides for the public bus.
Buses are usually old, not-so-clean as you expected and may be full of people which may make you stand all the way. No luggage store is available. Thus, you need to keep your belongings by yourself. Also, the bus stop in Da Nang is over 3 km away from the airport, so you need to take a cab there. Else, you can ask your Da Nang hotel staff for the nearest bus stop. Lastly, the bus staff is not so good at speaking English. You can show him/her your destination address. They will let you get off on the nearest stop.
- You will pay once you get on the bus, no prior booking needed.
- Use your map application to track the route and find the nearest stop to get off.
- Buses thieves are not popular but always keep an eye on your luggage.
In case you are into adventure, traveling by motorbike is the most exciting option of all. Also, locals prefer this way thanks to its convenience and flexibility. However, if it’s your first time driving a vehicle in Vietnam, you are not recommended to choose this option. Traffic in Vietnam is always crowded with a lot of unexpected situations. Driving on Vietnam roads requires you not only driving skills, situational awareness, excellent balance and good reflection but also a gut of steel and a cold head.
Motorbikes can be rented from your hotel or from any renter with ease. You may need to leave your passport for rental. You can choose between automatic and manual transmission types. Automatic one is the better choice because it’s easier for you to control. When renting, make sure you check the bike carefully: tires, horn, brakes and lights. The average price for one day of using a bike is about $6-$10, depending on the type. Automatic one is a bit more expensive than the manual one.
Getting from Da Nang to Hoi An on a bike, you can choose 1 in 2 suggested routes for the best sightseeing experience.
- Route 1: This route takes you along the seashore and will arrive at An Bang beach, one of the most famous beaches in Hoi An. Firstly, you pass the Dragon Bridge and turn right at Vo Nguyen Giap street. This will lead you through Truong Sa and Lac Long Quan street. Drive until you see the Hoi An welcome sign.
- Route 2: In case you want to see more of the city’s urban and suburban views, this route is for you. Start from Tran Thi Ly Bridge. Turn right at the Ngu Hanh Son street. Ride 24 km until you see a series of yellow rustic houses.
- Else, you can find the most comfortable route for you with Google Map here.
- Safety first. Do not take risks.
- The maximum speed on the highway is 60km per hour.
- Put on your helmets when traveling and make sure to lock the helmet belt.