How to get a visa to Taiwan & visa-free entry
Need to get to Taiwan for a stay of fewer than six months? A foreign national with a legal passport or other travel document is eligible for a visa in Taiwan. Focus Asia Travel will share you some essential information to get a visa to Taiwan with cost effective way.
The purpose of visit may be tour visit, visit relatives, attending international conference, business , undertake inspection, short-employment, short-term missionary work, pursue short-term study or engage in other legal activity approved by Taiwan Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China (MOFA.) To better understand the process of visa application, we shall look at the common question asked by interested Taiwan visa applicants.
FYI, Taiwan doesn’t say visa-free. They say visa-“exempt.” One in the same.
Hong Kong and Macau passports holders must obtain visas
Hong Kong and Macau passports are allowed a 30 day entry after application of Exit & Entry Permit (入台證) either at the airport after landing or in advance online (港澳居民網路申請入臺證申請書). For more info, please visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.
The ROC government recommends that HK/Macau/PRC residents that hold a secondary passport use that passport to enter Taiwan. Dual nationals with previous visits to Taiwan on the secondary passport will be denied entry on the HK/Macau/PRC passport.
Taiwan Visa exemption
Official updated list of Taiwan visa-exempt entry
- Nationals of the following countries are eligible for the visa exemption program, with a duration of stay of up to 90 days: Andorra, Australia (effective from January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2018), Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Haiti, Honduras*, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan*, Republic of Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Poland, Paraguay, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, the United States of America*,and Vatican City State.
- Nationals of the following countries are eligible for the visa exemption program, with a duration of stay of up to 30 days: Belize*, Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Malaysia, Saint Christopher and Nevis*, Saint Lucia*, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Singapore.
- Nationals of the kingdom of Thailand (effective from August 1, 2016, to July 31, 2018)-except those holding diplomatic or official/service passports-are eligible for the visa exemption program, with a duration of stay of up to 30 days.
- Nationals of Brunei* (effective from August 1, 2016, to July 31, 2018)-except those holding diplomatic or official/ service passports-are eligible for the visa exemption program, with a duration of stay of up to 30 days. In addition, effective from December 1, 2016, to July 31, 2018, those holding a Brunei Certificate of Identity are eligible for the visa exemption program, with a duration of stay of up to 30 days.
- Nationals of Philippines (effective from November 1, 2017, to July 31, 2018), except those holding diplomatic or official/service passports, are eligible for the visa exemption program, with a duration of stay of up to 14 days.
Is everyone eligible for visa application in Taiwan?
A person born in Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Afghanistan, Iraq are not eligible.
Validity of visa
Visitor visa in Taiwan is valid for between 3 months to 1 year. The duration of stay is categorized into 14 days, 30 days, 60 days and 90 days. It’s mandatory that your passport be valid for the entire length of stay.
Turkey and Macedonia nationals can apply for a visa on arrival. Other have to do it online or in their county’s Taiwan embassy.
Which are the standard Taiwan visa application requirements?
- The passport is valid for at least six months upon Taiwan entry.
- Two professional photos, taken within the last six months
- An outbound airline ticket and if traveling by ship, a valid ticket.
- Documents to verify the purpose of visit
- Other relevant documents as per the purpose of visit(see below)
Visa requirements for tourism purpose
- Kindly access https://visawebapp.boca.gov.tw/ to fill out the form.
- Two passport-sized photos, with white background.
- Passport photos (photocopy and original copy)
- A bank statement
- Outbound and return ticket
- Your travel itinerary
- Other documents might be required during the application process.
- You can lodge the application, the required documents and statutory fee at your Taiwan embassy.
Visa requirement if visiting relatives
- Complete, print and sign out the form from https://visawebapp.boca.gov.tw/.
- Two professional passport-size photos
- Have your passport plus a photocopy. Must be valid for six months and have blank pages.
- A document to prove you have relatives in Taiwan. Household registration, Alien Residence Certificate or Permanent Residence Certificate.
- If visiting a spouse, have a document to prove the relationship. Marriage certificate or household registration.
- Other documents which may be required: proof of travel agency, tickets, proof of current profession.
Taiwan visa for business purpose
- The first three requirements are standard, similar to visiting relatives, tourist, etc.
- Have a document to prove your business activities: invitation letter, the company where you are employed, ongoing letter, trading records, etc.
- Details of the person hosting you in Taiwan: name, address, phone number.
- Other documents which might be required: electronic ticket, ticket or proof of a travel agency.
Taiwan visa for entertainment purpose
- Again the first three standard requirements.
- Approval letter from the employer in Taiwan. Council of Labor Affairs must issue the letter in Taiwan.
Visa for internship purpose: http://www.taipei.at/english/visitor-internship.htm
Visa for medical purpose: http://www.taipei.at/english/visitor-medical.htm
Visa for employment purpose: http://www.taipei.at/english/visitor-employment.htm
Taiwan E-Visa program
Beginning January 12, 2016, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Taiwan implemented the evisa program. Nationals of the following countries can now apply for a single-entry evisa to ROC for less than 30 days. The application fee currently stands at NT$1,632. https://niaspeedy.immigration.gov.tw/
- The United Arab Emirates
- Burkina Faso
- Marshall Island
- Saudi Arabia
- Solomon Island
If traveling with approved tour group
All foreign national invited by ROC government to attend sports events, trade fairs, international conferences, activities organized or co-organized by Taiwanese government and particular NGOs are eligible for evisa.
National of these countries are eligible for business evisa with a condition they get a recommendation from the Taiwan External Trade Development Council:
- Sri Lanka
Cost of Taiwan visa (as per 2017-02-01)
Visa type non-refundable Application Fee in $Taiwan
Visitor (single entry) 2400
Visitor (multiple entries) 4800
Resident (single entry) 3100
Fee for US citizens general 7500
Average visa processing time
- Resident visa for missionaries: between 2 to 4 weeks
- Resident visa: 4 working day s
- Visitor visa: 3 working days
- Expedite processing: 1 working day
When to file /releasing time
- Filing time: Monday through Friday 8:45 am to 11: 45 am
- Releasing time: Monday through Friday 1:45 pm to 4:45 pm
All of this information is accurate to our knowledge as of Jan 2018 and valid at the below ports of entry.