Tuscany bike tours self guided — Cycling in the heart of Tuscany lowland
Cycling through wine vineyards in the dazzling sunshine of Tuscany is the cherry on top of a trip to Italy in fall.
We began in Chianti, 45 minutes by car from Florence, and traveled through the city’s picture-postcard suburbs, where, according to our guide Angelo, only the wealthy could afford to own a parcel of land.
This bicycle trip provided us with an excellent opportunity to learn about the local culture, architecture, and food. We began by dropping inside the fortress Guicciardini. Here arose the origins of Italy’s most famous wine and olive oil industry.
The wine cellar filled the air with the special smell of oak of the wine barrels.
We had a quick meal with wine, bread, olive oil and salt here.
We could see the entire Tuscany plain from the castle’s vantage point. Under the bright sunlight and clear sky, the grape and olive slopes stretched over the horizon are breathtaking.
The owner of this adorable little house seemed to be green and nature lover.
In the autumn sunlight, the grape and olive gardens brought about a sense of solitude.
The gift of October in Tuscany is these little fruits.
A colorful salad for lunch brought to us in a tiny green restaurant.
The trip is much more exciting with new friends halfway.
Is this just Tuscany lowland or heaven garden?
It was so surprising to see something of Vietnam here.
Coming back is little tricky because we may get tired of a long way. Why don’t we just walk our bicycles instead of riding them up the challenging slope? It is still worthwhile to slow down and enjoy this heavenly land in the last minutes.
Pieces of advice for a visit to Tuscany
- The cycling tour is popular in Florence but there are only 20 people per tour. Thus, it is necessary to book about 2 months in advance. Booking is available online and you don’t have to give any money in advance. You can also use this to make the getting of visa easier.
- 2 kinds day tour in Tuscany: one by motorbike (120 euros), the other by bicycle (80 euros), consisting of breakfast and lunch. The motorbike tour is less tricky and it is possible to visit more attractions.
- Travel agency often asks to meet you at 9h30 a.m and then take you to the castle by car. It is better not to be late because the guide has only 10 minutes to wait when needed otherwise you will lose your chance to have this amazing trip. At 17h p.m, the car picks you back to the center of Florence.
- Every bicycle has a name and is equipped with a leather bag behind. You can put the necessary things into it.
- If your health is not good enough to take this cycling trip, consider seeing Tuscany by car.